Saturday 2 January 2010

daisy moon & a sad time

It was a difficult end to the year. My gorgeous goat, Red, died, very suddenly and thank fully, very quickly. She called me to the shed rather than coming down to eat with the others and she wouldn't eat anything. She seemed to have an upset tummy, something that they have suffered with a few times over the year. I put down plenty of hay and water for her and left her for the night. The next day, I went up to her and she was laying down in her stall obviously very unwell. I called the vet, but within 20 minutes she died. She seemed to wait for me to come to see her; she wagged her tail and I talked to her until she eventually closed her eyes. It was so so sad to see her go. It sounds silly to say it, but she still looked a picture of health, even though she wasn't with me anymore. Through all of this, the ponies and Black, her mate just wanted feeding and wouldn't give over until they'd all been fed. Doesn't it seem cruel and strange to carry on as normal, when another animal has just died. They've all lived with Red for over 15 years, yet, even as she was dying, seemed completely unaware of anything, except what they needed. I guess, it's the best way to be. I had to leave Red covered overnight, as she's not a small goat. She's the size of a small pony and I couldn't move her. My poor husband had to sort that out the next morning, with the help of my daughter's ex boyfriend!

On a brighter note, in the same week, a little goat was found wandering on the old mine and was brought up to me to look after until he was claimed. As if he knew we had room for a goat and thought he might fill the position! We called him Morris (minor!) and he's a real character, with horns and attitude. My poor old arthritic Black is not very impressed at all, and Dolly & Molly are not having any of it! Morris is trying to fit in, but has yet to realise that butting everyone is not endearing behaviour at all! He's stayed out with them a few nights but it all depends on the order in which they go to bed. If he gets into the stable before molly and dolly then he can find a place to sleep, but if he's last in, they will not let him throught the door! So before going to bed each night, I have to go out and check that he hasn't been exiled. If he's out, then he is led into the chicken shed for the night, otherwise, he gets to sleep over!!As I speak, he's still out and seems to have claimed his space in the stable! Molly Dolly & Boyo are actually laying out in the field as if it's a summer evening!! I'll check once more in a minute then it's bed time for me as well....happy new year xx

No comments: