Thursday 10 May 2007

daisy moon goes to the cinema

I don't think I will ever go to the cinema again! I know it's me, I am so irritable, little things irritate me beyond any rational reaction. I can't stand people whistling, my son likes to drum his fingers on anything and this annoys me: feet. I can't stand feet, to look at them naked is awful and no-one is allowed to cut their toe nails when in the same room as me. I can't stand the sound of the clippers clipping, let alone the sight of the feet in all their glory!

I must be a nightmare to live with.

Now the cinema. I went to see SM3 and I think it was a good film but I became increasingly obsessed with the noises in the cinema. Almost the entire row behind me was taken up with a family with a number of carrier bags between them full of the most rustly paper packets of sweets, popcorn, crisps et al. One of the children wanted to start eating as soon as they sat down, but the adult decided no, " Have them when the film starts!" Indeed, why not ensure that everyone could listen to them eating during the film, rather than during the unimportant ad's and previews? As it was, it didn't matter when they started because they ate continually throughout the film. Passing bags up and down the row, eating with mouths open - I can tell this because of the clapping noise of their mouths. They didn't even wait for the loud parts of the movie to eat the noisy stuff. No, it was continuous and it drove me mad.

At one point their noises subsided, my blood pressure abated, but then the couple next to me opened their carrier bag and opened a packet of crisps each. I swear i heard every single crunch. I became so obsessed with all of the munching, crunching and rustling that the film seemed to mute and was replaced by the cacophony of sounds throughout the auditorium, now I could near every cough, word, rustle and movement. Just to add to this the child behind me who finished eating about 20 minutes before the end of the film, started to sniff. He did not have a runny nose, it was a dry sniff, and he sniffed about every 8 seconds. Yes, I counted the seconds between each sniff. I was so glad when the movie ended and I could leave. I realise most of the problem is mine.....my irritable state must be reaching new heights, but surely, they could have stopped eating for a while, at least during the quiet moments?

I read recently that some cinema companies are stopping customers bringing their own food in. My first reaction was that this was just to preserve and promote the extortionate prices they charge for refreshments, and that it shouldn't be allowed. But after yesterday, customers should be frisked, and scanned for rustly packets and crunchy contents. These should be removed. Anyone with a cough or a sniffly nose should be excluded. An audio sensor should be installed beneath each seat which emits an electric shock when an individual exceeds the allowed noise making threshold.....or, I should just buy dvd's in future and stay home.

11 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

i suffer from oversensitivity to noise too - also rudeness, letting doors go in people's faces, not saying thank you. just a grumpy old woman really.

annakarenin said...

probably best. My husband is a huge film fan and looks daggers at anyone who lets out so much as a peep in our vicinity. What gets me most is how uncomfortable the seats are knees crushed against me sort of thing. Films are far more enjoyable at home accompanied by QUIETLY sipped wine.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

remember it well--- picture trip for bithday party - noisy, munching kid -behind my 'move and I'll throttle you' tribe- was suddenly sick down backs of three of my gang - I could have strangled it on the spot!

Faith said...

Hello Daisy, just found your blog and read your first one and this one. I have to say this made me laugh but I do know what you mean! I eat sweets in the cinema and my 18 year old daughter is always saying to me 'open the packet BEFORE the film starts!'. Will come back to read more witterings another day, but can't keep up with all the blogs - far too many, so I just dip in and out.

Exmoorjane said...

Love the cinema and HAVE to have treats - but quiet ones (and never bought at the cinema as refuse to pay the atrocious mark-up)....so sneak in our own (unless we're at the good old Tivoli who don't care!).

Eden said...

Oh gosh you'd hate me. I'm the one with the kid who can't sit still, who needs the loo three times during the film, all urgently, and of course is sitting at the very end of the row so has to step across everyone to get out. Oh yeah, and the other kid coughs. If I see you at the cinema I promise I will try to sit far far away.

Milla said...

No, I am totally on your side, and CANNOT BEAR other people at the cinema. WHY the need to stuff their fat faces at strange times, and why the noisiest sweets, always unwrapped during the poignant bit rather than the fight scene. Drives me absolutely insane. And I am as a paragon of patience compared with my husband. So, we rarely go - not only the incipient heart attacks but the high cost plus a babysitter - but if we do go, we try to go on the last week of a run when all the morons have seen it. Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant. But am considering a home cinema thing as part of our extension (if the money doesn't run out ...) which may be naff, but will be peaceful!

Cait O'Connor said...

I avoid the cinema too, for similar reasons. Also I find there is not enough leg room and I get fidgety. I prefer a film at home, curled up on the sofa, drinks and nibbles to hand.
Caitx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Yes! Yes! I know exactly what you mean! What is it about the British (you are in Britain, aren't you?) that makes them eat compulsively at the cinema, even if they've just had tea, and tuck into their packed lunch THE MOMENT THEY GET ON A TRAIN! Even if it's 10 o'clock in the morning - too late for breakfast, too early for elevenses. I just don't get it.

By the way, I love your spotty page - V trendy!

Gretel said...

Hell is other people...totally sympathise and why I rarely go out. Dvd and bottle of wine - heaven.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Hi Daisymoon

Not seen you on Purplecoo for a while - just popping into you Blog room to say hi and please do come and have a chat and a coffee soon.